Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why Rawkward?


When I decided to write a blog the question of a topic perplexed me for quite some time… what do I know about well enough to write about on a blog? Jenelle’s latest prison escapades on Teen Mom? How to get glitter out of my hair? How to not look like a flesh-eating zombie on zero hours of sleep? Although I do have expertise in these areas, none of them seemed like a worthy blog topic.

Then it hit me; the one thing I know I can babble on about for hours on end ... awkward situations. We’ve all experienced an awkward situation or two (read 10 thousand) in our lives, and we always look back and think of ways that we could have handled them better. Well I’ve decided to share with the world my most awkward encounters, so that if you may find yourself in a similar situation, you’ll be able to handle them like a pro.

Let me begin by sharing my earliest memory of an awkward situation:

I’m a five-year-old little girl preparing to dance in her first ballet recital. I’m giddy as can be, decked out in a pink tutu and hair perfectly coifed in a sock bun (before sock buns were cool). When it’s my cue, I spring onto the stage and prance around without a care in the world. I may recall grazing a few other girls, and hey maybe I didn’t really know the steps, but no one noticed right? Wrong. When I went into the audience after the show, I spotted my mother (looking mortified) and I felt the stares and giggles from the other parents in the audience. Apparently I had blundered around that stage trampling little girls like a Bulldozer trampling flowers.

My mother handled the situation like any parent would; awkwardly apologizing as little girls ran to their parents crying. Then hurrying me out of there and never looking back. My dance career was effectively over before it had begun. Looking back, if I were my mother I think I would have handled it differently.  I would like to think that I would have just kept on cheering and clapping, and maybe not have crushed my daughter’s ballerina dreams so quickly… because confidence is key right?  But hey, it was the early nineties, and that sh** was cray, so I don’t hold it against her.


For me this situation was definitely awkward … for my mother? Rawkward!

Unfortunately all of my own ballerina photos have been lost (or possibly burned). But I imagine they may have looked something like this.

 

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your mother crushed your dreams :( At least it gave us a laugh?
    Keep writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you were the cutest little ballerina out there! Even if you did trample the other little girls :) I have a feeling this blog will provide me with lots of laughter... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I had a good laugh. Can't wait to hear about the next awkward experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that girl is making the best face! I'm excited for your next awkward experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I had a similar recital experience when I was a kid. I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you think. Looking forward to your next rawkward experience

    ReplyDelete
  6. rawkward is the best word ever. I need to find a way to organically incorporate it into my vocabulary !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somehow none of this story surprises me. Funny stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the cutest. I've definitely had my fair share of rawkward moments. Pretty sure my entire life is just an awkward moment.

    ReplyDelete